In our newest documentary, homeless youth in Portland, OR, debate if and how to return to mainstream society while creating their own film version of the iconic story of Peter Pan.
Contact us to schedule a screening.
new FILMS by our young filmmakers.
Support Outside the Frame
Help young people experiencing homelessness tell their own stories and get them seen.
Click on the donate button above, or send a check to:
Outside the Frame
4322 SE 28th Pl., Portland, OR 97202
Give us a call at: (503) 662-8344.
Outside the Frame is a 501(c)3 non-profit and donations are tax deductible. Tax ID # 47-4159875.
Outside the Frame was founded with the idea of helping homeless youth value themselves as productive members of society. We partner with excellent social service organizations to provide a much-needed creative outlet, technological training, and a sense of success that is contagious and visible to the public.
We believe that to thrive, young people need more than their basic needs met. We offer a model educational and vocational program, where young people create films about issues that matter to them and share them with the public.
Program graduates have gone on to complete their GED, enroll in college, actively pursue employment and independent living, and make movies.
Project based film and media education
Participants learn film making from pre-production to broadcast with mentorship of professional filmmakers.
A PARTICIPANT DRIVEN CREATIVE OUTLET
The films produced depict issues that pertain to and are determined by the participants.
Hearing what young people have to say for themselves through screenings and presentations increases sensitivity and reduces stigma.
Technology training and job readiness experience that is competitive, relevant, creative and not typically available.
Our workshops offer a space for participants to reflect on, make sense of and share their stories.
The films align with local organizing efforts that confront systemic issues the participants face.
To empower homeless and marginalized youth to educate the public about issues they face by producing films with youth that convey their experience.
Outside the Frame changes the way homeless and marginalized youth see and are seen through film.
Our professional film production team is available to produce high quality, authentic and captivating videos for your business, organization or event.
We are available to host film workshops for your group or organization. Participants will learn about filmmaking from pre-production to broadcast, and have an original creative films to share at the end of the workshop.
* Hewitt, Lyndsay, "Lost Boys of Portlandia Let's Citie's Homeless Youth Be Creative." Portland Tribune. 28 February, 2017.
* KBOO Youth Collective, "The Underground," KBOO Community Radio, 26 November, 2016. Starts at -26:00.
* Moon, Deborah. "Nili Yosha Helps Lost Boys Find a Voice." Oregon Jewish Life. Empowered Women issue. 29th September, 2016.
* Labrise, Megan. "The Lost Boys of Portlandia." Reed Magazine. Volume 95, No. 3: September 2016.
* Sepulvado, John. "The Lost Boys of Portlandia." OPB, State of Wonder [Portland]. 11 June, 2016. Starts at 31:12.
* MacMillan, Brian. "Film screening focuses on Portland's homeless youth." Fox 12 Oregon, 7 June, 2016.
* Burke, Theo. "Interview with Nili Yosha of Outside the Frame." KBOO Community Radio, Evening News. 6 June, 2016.
* McCann, Fiona. "Portland's Lost Boys are coming to a screen near you." Portland Monthly [Portland], 2 June, 2016.
* Gaillot, Ann-Derrick. "Outside the Frame to celebrate work of homeless filmmakers." Street Roots [Portland], 30 May, 2016.
* Weitzel, Monica. "Community Hotline." Metro East Community Media, Channel 21 [Portland], 26 May, 2016.
* Chavez, Jenn. "The Five Quadrants of Portland." XRAY FM [Portland], 26 May, 2016.
* Giegerich, Andy. "On the set with the homeless youth-made film 'The Lost Boys of Portlandia.'" Portland Business Journal [Portland], 24 May 2016.
* Vespa, Maggie. "'Lost Boys' Depicts Life for Homeless Teens." KGW - TV [Portland], 23 May, 2016.
Put your skills to good use
Join our team of paid mentors and volunteers.
Production Coordinator/Executive Assistant. Click here for full listing.
Cinematographer for Summer Workshop. June 6, 14, 15, 19, 20. Daily rate.
Editor. Per project basis.
Cinematographers, Sound Mixers, Gaffers, Colorists, Composers, Animators, and other film industry professionals for full or half day workshops sessions or post production work.
For more information, use the form below or give us a call at (503) 662-8344.